Scott Taylor
Scott Taylor, Solicitor
Experience:  18 years practice on the High Street and in the City of London
91182002

What is the minimum area required to be eligible county

Customer Question

What is the minimum area required to be eligible for a county parish holding number?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Scott Taylor replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I hope to be able to assist you today. Although you ask this question on the basis of Scots Law, the procedure and requirement for applying for a CPH is the same as in England & Wales.

The CPH Number is ***** method whereby the ownership and transfer of certain types of livestock is tracked. The provision of a CPH Number has no bearing on the size of the holding you occupy.

For example, a CPH Number would be required if you were the keeper of a single small house-pig, in just the same way as it would if you kept a full herd in agricultural premises. It is the keeping of the animal that requires you to have the CPH Number rather than the size of the smallholding.

A CPH Number is ***** if you are keeping the following animals -

• cattle (including bison and buffalo)
  • deer
  • sheep
  • goats
  • pigs
  • poultry (but only of there are more than 50 birds)

You can contact the Rural Payments Agency on the following number and they can assist with providing a CPH Number - 03000 200 301

Alternatively the Scottish Rural Payments Service website provides full details on the procedure involved and contact details for your local office in Scotland - https://www.ruralpayments.org/publicsite/futures/topics/contact-us/

I hope that this is of assistance.

Please do not forget to rate my reply so that I can close your question and receive my fee.

Kind regards

Scott