JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

What is the current law regarding parking tickets i parked

Customer Question

Customer: what is the current law regarding parking tickets i parked in morrisons partick car park for three hours and it has a two hour limit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: they want 85.00 from me 50.00 due to be paid today there is a bit at the bottom quoting parking eye v beavis at the supreme court on nov 4 2015
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Scots Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 11 months ago.

The law following the Supreme Court decision is that these private operator charges are reasonable. However, in my opinion they still have to prove that they knew about them. So if you hadn't parked there before the parking operator would have to prove that you knew about the charges and that is not easy to prove. How can they prove that you knew about the charges?