JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

Police have been doing an investigation against me re an

Customer Question

Hi, police have been doing an investigation against me re an alleged theft. They want to come and see me to 'tie things up', but its been a year since they last spoke to me. Is there any timescales on this?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with this. Theft is a common law crime. There are no time limits for the prosecution of persons involved in common law crimes so the answer to your question is no, there are no timescales here. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I went into station as did other people a year ago and they stopped me today in the street and asked if he could come up next weekend to tie things up. Any indication what that means?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I presume to take a final statement from you before they complete the case but it's impossible to speculate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you advise if there is any specific questions I should be asking. Is it normal for them to come to my home to do this
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You should not be asking any questions nor indeed answering any as you don't want to incriminate yourself in any way. If they are coming to your house by appointment it would generally indicate that they are not treating you as a suspect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What would you advise I do if they ask questions as I feel that I answered everything last year
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You can say to them that you have already answered those questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for all the small questions I was concerned as its been a year since they last spoke to me
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As it was over a year ago I have just remembered I didn't actually give a statement. Would they be wanting a statement as they are coming to my house?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I suspect they will want your statement, yes, as part of the investigation but after a year? For a theft investigation. If it appears that they are treating you as a suspect say nothing at all as previously suggested by me.