JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

I am going through a divorce here in glasgow with three

Customer Question

Hi i am going through a divorce here in glasgow with three children aged 4,6 & 8 and wondered what were the chances of a court stopping my wife taking the kids to live in manchester?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you have to consider is fpgetting your solicitor to apply for a court order to prevent her from taking the children out of the area. You should do that if you consider that your wife may just up and off with the children. If that is not an immediate risk then you have to consider what the best interests of the children are. It would presumably affect your contact with the children. Do you get contact? Is it regular? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the children staying in Scotland as opposed to moving? Does your wife have family or better job prospects in Manchester? Does she have family and a job here? Would they be better off staying at their school here or is there a better school in England? There are many factors. However, the most important one is that a court is unlikely to allow the parent to go where the other parent has regular and satisfactory contact at the moment and where there is a family unit available in which to bring up the children.