JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

My grandparents owned a business, my grandmother owned 25%

Customer Question

My grandparents owned a business, my grandmother owned 25% and the other 75% was my grandfathers, when my grandfather died his share went to his son who continues to run the business to this day, however the 25% which my grandmother owned went to my mum as stated in my grandmothers will, my mother was told by her brother he owned the business outright and she had no claim, that was 30 years ago, my mother is now living in near poverty and I was wondering if she could now make a claim on her inheritance it is obviously 30 years ago?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

My starting point is that you would appear to be out of time with regard to challenging the inheritance, but you do state that your mother was gifted 25% of the business and she seems no longer to have that share. This is something which you are entitled to have investigated - it would not be necessarily correct that she had or has no share - I would be minded to get a solicitor to write to the brother and seek clarification from him on the point of ownership. Happy to discuss. Pleases rate positively.

I hope that helps - can you please rate positively - thanks

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Was the business owned by your grandparents a Scottish partnership between them or a limited company?