JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

I have a house with an agricultural 75 restriction in Argyll

Customer Question

Hi I have a house with an agricultural 75 restriction in Argyll and Bute. Could I run a farmhouse bed and breakfast in 2 of the bedrooms the family who work on the farm live in another part of the house just trying to earn extra income to survive
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with this.
I have had a similar situation recently with a property in Renfrewshire which is subject to a section 75 restriction.
The agricultural restriction relates to who can live in the house as their home and there will be restrictions on any future sale In that any purchaser would have to be involved in agriculture. However, there is no issue in running a farmhouse bed and breakfast as that is ancillary to the business of farming, encourages tourism etc. There can be no objection to that and the planners will not have a problem with a bed and breakfast. Traditionally, farmhouses are commonly used for bed and breakfast facilities in areas where there is a lack of overnight accommodation. I hope your project is successful.
I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.