JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

My son managed to overlook a statutory fine road

Customer Question

Hi, my son managed to overlook a statutory fine for a road traffic offence and now has a court date - I'd like to write to the PF on his behalf explaining the circumstances and asking that the original fine be imposed in order to avoid wasting courts time. Would this be likely to succeed? Many Thanks
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. You can certainly try writing to the PF to sort this out. However, my experience is that once the default is made, they put it into the system and a court date cannot be withdrawn and the statutory fine reinstated. Your son can plead guilty by letter to the court which would avoid a court appearance but the matter will still be dealt with through the the court and the penalty will generally be higher as a result. I'm sorry about that but that is my experience.