Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I was charged with a breach of the peace in 2004. How long will this stay on my rec

Customer Question

Hello. I was charged with a breach of the peace in 2004. How long will this stay on my record? Do I still need to declare it when asked on any forms if I have any criminal convictions?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What was the actual conviction you received?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have it to hand. I think it was for shouting, swearing and struggling with people.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
In Scotland, a conviction will stay on your record indefinitely although the State does sometimes clear out old conviction records, for example, when computer systems are being changed or upgraded.
However, under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act you would not have to disclose a 2004 conviction for breach of the peace under normal circumstances. Only, for exempt occupations, such as law, medicine, police, armed forces for example would you have to disclose everything.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but can you please clarify what you received as punishment - for example was it a caution, fine, community service, etc?