JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

Is it possible to prove if someone wasn't baptised into the

Customer Question

Is it possible to prove if someone wasn't baptised into the church? If so, how do you go about that? Is there a form to complete? Thank you.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
Baptism records are held by the church generally. If there is no record in the church or on as an endorsement on the original birth certificate then that is prima facie evidence of non baptism.
Happy to discuss.
I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I need positive proof that the person wasn't baptised but I don't know which church in Scotland this person was baptised in (if they were baptised). If you were married in the Catholic church in 1975 would you have needed a baptism certificate showing that you were baptised in either the Catholic or Church of Scotland?
It could be in a Catholic or Church of Scotland church in Leith or Edinburgh. We've contacted churches in those areas but without knowledge of the church or year (around 1953), the parishes can't investigate as they transferred their records to a general register around that year. Thank you.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Baptism records for that general timeframe are held by the National Records of Scotland, HM General Register House, Edinburgh.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily held by National Records of Scotland - we've checked and could only find Catholic baptism records, not Church of Scotland or other denominations. Have you any other possible solutions?
Thank you.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
No. This isn't really a legal question. I think you should re register your question with the genealogy section of JustAnswer. I will opt out.