How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 8889
Experience:  28 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi... My wifes car was recently written by the insurance company

Resolved Question:

Hi... My wife's car was recently written by the insurance company off after it was involved in an RTA. The car was under finance and the insurance settlement, paid direct to the finance company, left a shortfall £1100. We believed that this shortfall was covered by Combined GAP & VRI Insurance... see below:

AMS Asset Secure® Dual Protection, Combined GAP PLUS pays the difference between your customers' (private and business) write-off insurance settlement and the vehicle's original invoiced cost or outstanding finance under any type of finance agreement, whichever is the greater. Available over 2, 3 and 4 year terms.
CHOICE OF BENEFIT: £5,000, £10,000, £15,000 or £25,000.

My son, who acts for his mother regarding any car related matters, approached Peter Vardy Vauxhall, who sold the car to my wife/son (14/07/2011), to ask how they would go about making a claim. They informed my son that there was no GAP insurance recorded on the sale of that vehicle. My son told them that this was not correct and he showed them the original signed sales documentation clearly stated the inclusion of this insurance at a cost of £299.17p. He was asked to wait whilst they looked into the matter. After some time they came back and showed my son another, unsigned, sales document showing a different type of warranty insurance purchased at the same cost. This cover did not include the financial protection in the event of a total loss. They said that my son must have changed his mind and he told them that he didn't and that they, having taken the premium and not set up the insurance, were guilty of defrauding his Mum. My son was angry at this stage and the chap dealing with him tried to placate him by saying "look we'll pay off the difference if your Mum buys a new car from them". My son left before he hit him. My wife has spoken to them on the phone but they are unwilling to concede that they are wrong.

My question is where does my wife stand as regards XXXXX XXXXX taken but the cover that never was and does she have grounds for pursuing in them in court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

From what you say there is no doubt that your wife would win court proceedings against Vardy. You have the paperwork showing that the cover was purchased and the premium paid. Vardys have nothing except an unsigned document.

You should check if a letter has been written to them. If not get a solicitor to do so in the strongest terms. You can also report them to trading standards and the financial services ombudsman.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 8889
Experience: 28 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a practicing solicitor, specialising in litigation, employment and family law
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience