How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11028
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in dispute with my estranged wife over the division of

This answer was rated:

I am in dispute with my estranged wife over the division of the matrimonial assets. the solicitors involved seem to wish to draw this out as long as possible.It is becoming to expensive for me to pursue. If I simply dispensed with my solicitor and stopped replying to her solicitors what would happen to the assets (mainly the house)?
Thank you for your question.

Probably they would advise your wife to raise a divorce action in the court with ancillary applications for division or sale or transfer of matrimonial property. That would mean you would have to go back to your solicitor and further costs would be incurred.

I do sympathise with you as some solicitors do seem to draw the financial side out. If you have made a full disclosure and the assets and liabilities are agreed, the division should be fairly straightforward. If you are in a position to make an offer then make it and make it clear that you will seek expenses of any court proceedings in the event that they do not start negotiating in a reasonable manner with due regard to economy.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you