JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

I was fined £250 and disqualified from driving for 18 months

I was fined £250 and disqualified from driving for 18 months for driving without a valid driving licence and insurance and was admonished for taking and driving a motor vehicle without the owners consent in 1985. In 1995 I was cautioned and charged by the benefits agency for knowingly failing to notify of a change in circumstances. I paid back the overpayment before I went to court where I was fined £120. None of these show up on my advanced disclosure which I have had done twice in the last 10 years. Why don't they show up and would I be able to travel to the USA on ESTA.

Thank you for your question.

The reason why these previous convictions do to turn up is a combination of their age and luck. As the state computer systems are updated, often, but not always, records of an older nature are deleted and that is probably what has happened here.

There is no reason why you can't go though the ESTA system as your past offences are not crimes involving moral turpitude, drugs or a jail sentence of more than five years.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought that the one from the benefits agency was moral turpitude as it is more or less benefit fraud.

You paid it back and it was treated as a minor offence given the level of fine. I would not worry too much about that.