JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

Does a Notice to Quit in Scotland need to be signed by a S

Does a Notice to Quit in Scotland need to be signed by a Solicitor?
Thank you for your question.

No, it can be signed by the landlord or any agent on behalf of the landlord. There is no need for a solicitor to sign it.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,

Is there any where in the legislation where this is stated, as the Sheriff Court have returned a summons because the Notice to Quit was signed by the Landlord.

Thanks

No, it is a general principal of law. I have never heard of a court refusing to accept a notice to quit as part of a summons. I presume the landlord is an individual and not a company, but even then (thinking out loud) a director of a landlord company is able to sign a notice to quit.

I suggest you call the court and ask the sheriff clerk why they have done this. I suspect it is a mistake on the part of someone in the clerk's office.