JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

Dear Sirs , Simple question Why do lawyers request the

Dear Sirs ,
Simple question
Why do lawyers request the titles of a property when you instruct them to convey one property from one company into an another company .
We have removed all charges and also have a copy of the land certificate.
Much appreciated .
Thank you for your question.

The answer is that many solicitors still prefer to have the actual title prior to any transaction involving the property. In actual fact the physical title is not needed where the property is on the Land Register as you can download a copy from the Registers of Scotland via the a Registers Direct service which most solicitors are members of and the cost is £3 plus VAT. That, together with an up to date search, which costs £47.40 is more than sufficient to provide evidence of clear and unencumbered title to enable the transfer to be done.

If you are asking would we take the word of the client, then the answer to that is no, a lawyer would always check the title, but as I say that can be done online nowadays for very little cost.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.