How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 8689
Experience:  28 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much will it cost to transfer land to a neighbour? How

Resolved Question:

How much will it cost to transfer land to a neighbour? How much would the cost for legal documents be to still allow us access to the land as our oil tank is situated on the land?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
so do you want to sell the land but still have the right to have the oil tank on there?
I am off-line shortly but will pick this up later this evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is the case the neighbours have asked us if they can purchase the land and they have no issue to the tank being there and so we will still need access to it. I also have a further question does having a mortgage cause many issues with selling the land it is probably about 10% of garden size.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
I am away from my desk at the moment. I have seen your reply and I will get back to you as soon as I have a keyboard in front of me. No need to reply to this post. Thanks
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

I am
sorry, I have just noticed that you are in Scotland. I will therefore transfer
this to Scottish law because the situation is completely different.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this.

The a situation is that if the land is part of a larger title which you own at the moment, a plan should be drawn up showing the extent of the land to be transferred to the neighbour. That plan will then be attached to a Disposition which is the title deed that you will grant in favour of your neighbour. The title deed will also reserve a right of access to you for the use and maintenance of the oil tank and all associated pipes and appliances.

Searches in the property and personal registers and possibly in the registers of the local authority and coal authority will be undertaken.

Every transaction is different but broadly I would estimate legal fees of £800 to £1000 plus VAT and search fees of about £150.

If you have a mortgage on your property which extends over the land to be transferred, you will need the consent of your lender and a Deed of Disburdenment of the existing Standards Security. This will incur further fees of about £150 plus Vat and a registration fee of £60 for the Deed of Disburdenment.

The lender may want a survey done as well to ensure that there is sufficient value in the remaining property.

Happy to discuss further. Note that different solicitors charge different rates so you can shop around if you are concerned about the costs. Or you can agree that the neighbour pays the costs if you are doing this as a favour.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 8689
Experience: 28 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Solicitor
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a practicing solicitor, specialising in litigation, employment and family law
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
Chat Now With A Lawyer
5408 Satisfied Customers
28 years as a practising solicitor.