How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 9346
Experience:  28 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi jusleen i was wondering if i would be able to get some advice

Resolved Question:

hi jusleen i was wondering if i would be able to get some advice about my 11 year old daughter, i also havae a 8 year old daughter too, we live with my partner of 4 years and the girls have been going to see my ex, their boilogical father every 2nd weekend or if we cant manage we are flexible to change it but of lately my ex has had problems with his partner as they unfortunately lost a baby so my eldest, 11 yrs old hasnt been getting on with his partner they just have no bond and stay out of each others way so i hear and she seems depressed but my daughter has been calling my partner dad and it came out of the blue last year but she has adhd and I did sit her down and say your own dad wont be too happy aboutt hat do u understand but she just said to me well mum i feel close to steven he is here for me all the time and i feel close to him so she continued but now my ex is kicking up a fuss understandably about someone else being called dad in his place but when my daughter goes to their house she has to go to my exs football and she doesnt enjoy it as she sees she has to go to watch him and why cant they do something for them instead, she is very reluctant to go even with my encouraging her but she doesnt want to go every 2nd weekend just one night a month really is about what she is doing but can my ex stop her calling my partner dad when she is at theirs as this is causing her major pressure and to tops it all off she has adhd, what should i be doing if anythign differently as ive now had my exs mother contact me saying it should top my partner being called dad even i my own home surely she doesnt have that right? thanks fiona
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

The grandmother has no right to tell you or your daughter what to do.

And as I understand it you have asked your daughter not to call your partner Dad but she wishes to do so and has a nice bond with him. I don't think you can do any more. Your daughter is reaching the age that she can make these decisions for herself. For example, when she is 12 her view on where she stays and the manner of her welfare has to be taken into account by law.

If she wishes to lessen or change contact with her natural dad then her view have to be respected although she should be encouraged to continue the relationship with him.

As always I'm happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 9346
Experience: 28 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


thankyou, i always say she should keep a relationship with her dad but she knos what she wants as she is just not close to him any longer but thankyou

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
As long as you try to encourage her and tell your ex that you are doing so you can't be faulted.

Please don't forget to rate my answer on the system so that I'm credited for my time.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • John Knox

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
< Last | Next >
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a practicing solicitor, specialising in litigation, employment and family law
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience