JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

Hi, We are having a boundary dispute with our neighbour.

We are having a boundary dispute with our neighbour. There is a small strip of land in dispute which we cultivated for 28 years and before us the previous occupant looked after the land for 20 years. This strip of land is adjacent to our neighbours driveway and there is a kerb which separate the two properties. Do we have any right to that strip of land?

Regards
Thank you for your question.

The answer to your question depends on who has title to the strip of land. Me possession or occupancy doesn't give you a right to the land. You have to have a title to it registered in the Registers of Scotland. An examination of your title and that of your neighbour would be require as a starting point towards establishing ownership.

However, the fact that you and your predecessor have looked after the land is not relevant without a title.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.