JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

I have a signed contract for a conservatory and now I wish

I have a signed contract for a conservatory and now I wish to cancel my order.
It is outwith the cooling off period, but my contract was suspended due to extra survey work being carried out.
The company are looking for 30% of the costs.
At over £10,000, I think this is totally unacceptable.
Do I have to pay, as no actual work has been carried out and the contract is suspended?
Thank you for your question.

Can you scan and email the contract terms and conditions [email protected] and ask them to send on to JGM. I will then be able to help you. Can you also tell me what you mean by suspended? Normally there is either a contract or there is not.
Thank you for sending the papers through to me. I have looked at them.

When they talk about the contract being suspended all that means is that there is a delay for which the contract provides so that site investigations can be carried out.

The important section is that part of the contract which clearly lays out the basis upon which you can cancel the contract. Outwith the cooling off period you can only do so upon payment of the sums specified. That seems quite harsh but a contract is a contract. Some similar contracts do not provide for cancellation at all.

Where two parties contract, the party providing the service is entitled to know that the contract is binding. There would be no point in the law of contract were it to be otherwise.

I'm sorry that this is not the advice you want but I have to give you a correct answer. You signed the contract and are bound by it.