JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

Hi, I live in a compound with 10 blocks of flats. I recently

Hi, I live in a compound with 10 blocks of flats. I recently replaced windows but have been told by Residents Assoc. that they are the wrong style. There are 12 flats with different windows. When we put in the windows we were told there was a Scottish law passed last year stating we could put in any style of window in flats. Is this the case.

Thank you for your question.

No, that is not the case. Whether you can replace the windows in the manner you have done depends on the title conditions for the block. Many titles for flatted developments provide that replacement windows have to be the same visually as the originals so as to maintain uniformity. If the titles do so provide then the neighbours would have the power to enforce these conditions.

If the titles are silent then there is nothing to stop you changing the windows.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.