How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 9353
Experience:  28 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I live in a cul de sac in a private residential area,

Resolved Question:


I live in a cul de sac in a private residential area, my neighbour next door has started a bed and breakfast business.

In my title deed is states quite clearly that the houses within this development are for private residential use by one family only and that running a business is not allowed.

To the best of my knowledge he has not applied for planning permission from the local authority.

What rights if any do I have?

I live in Scotland

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Two things. Report this to the council as a breach of planning. They can serve an enforcement notice.

From your own point of view, you are entitled to take your neighbour to court and rely on the title conditions to get a court order stopping your neighbour from running a business from the property. You can also seek the expenses of such proceedings from the neighbour.

Happy to discuss further but if you go to court you will have to see a solicitor face to face.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your informative and fast response.


The local authority appear to have little or no interest when it comes to the subject of private title deeds, could I also take the council to court and the official responsible on an individual basis?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The council has no interest in what your title deeds say but they should have an interest in upholding planning policies and regulations. In theory you could take them, not the individual to court, once you have exhausted all council avenues. This action would however, have to be in the Court of Session for Judicial Review of the decision of the Council not to investigate and enforce. An action of Judicial Review, indeed any Court of Session action, is expensive and stressful and you don't want to go there if it can be avoided. You could instead try going to the local government ombudsman and see if that route would help you. Before doing so, however, why don't you go along to see your elected councillor at one of his or her surgeries. If anyone, it is the councillor, who will of course have some influence over the council officials.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 9353
Experience: 28 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • John Knox

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
< Last | Next >
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a practicing solicitor, specialising in litigation, employment and family law
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience