JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

A US corporation is a landowner in Edinburgh which is seeking

A US corporation is a landowner in Edinburgh which is seeking to lease out the property which it owns. The corporation is currently registered as a landlord. There is an option to become a registered foreign corporation for tax purposes to prevent the landlord’s agent from withholding the required taxes for non-registered landowners. Can you outline the process for registering as a foreign corporation in Scotland?
Thank you for your question.

You need to lodge with Companies House in Edinburgh:

Registration of an overseas company opening a UK establishment’application (Form OS IN01) and
the standard registration fee of £20. You can get the form at

If the company is registering its first UK establishment, it must also deliver to Companies House the following additional documents:

a certified copy of the company’s constitutional documents (e.g. charter, statute, memorandum and articles of association etc) with a certified translation in English if the original is in a language other than English;

a copy of the company’s latest set of accounts (with a certified translation in English if the original is in a language other than English) if an overseas company is required to prepare and deliver accounts under parent law. There are different accounting requirements depending on whether the company was incorporated in an EEA or non-EEA state.

When an overseas company registers a further UK establishment, it is not required to again deliver the additional documents again and may instead state in the form OS IN01 that the documents have been delivered in respect of another UK establishment (giving the registered number of that establishment).

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you provide me the name of a couple firms that could handle this if I end up needing someone to do this for me? Thanks

The site doesn't allow experts to make specific recommendations. You need a corporate solicitor if your accountant can't do this for you.

You can get a recommendation from the Law Society at