How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11016
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have found out house we lived had gas pipe fitted incorrectly

This answer was rated:

We have found out house we lived had gas pipe fitted incorrectly and has been leaking gas for years. One of our kids has learning problems and we are beginning to wonder whether exposure pre and post birth to the gas could be related to this. We are wondering can we still address this issue some years on and how to do this. Should we contact gas fitter or person who certified the gas?
Thank you for your question.

As far as time limits are concerned, the usual time limit under the law of Scotland for a claim for personal injuries is 3 years from the date of the injury or 3 years from the date that it ought to have been known that a particular incident caused an injury.

However in the case of a child, the time limit is 3 years after the child becomes 16.

So you have plenty of time to raise a claim.

You should not contact the has fitter or person who certified the gas. See a solicitor who will advise you, including getting medical evidence.. You need to establish a link to your child's learning difficulties and the leaking gas before you can intimate any claim.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you