JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  28 years as a practising solicitor.

i have been accused of having a partner and therefore benefit

i have been accused of having a partner and therefore benefit fraud. i was called for the interview under caution which i attended. I was under too much stress and my migraine started so i had to stop the interview.They opened up my application from 2003. I was told to come next week to continue i saw an ad for a private solicitor who would talk to dwp on my behalf they gave me a fixed price. now they are asking me alot of money about £1,000 just to make a statement and i cant afford this as i am a single parent living with four boys. Do i have to make a statement? What are my options? The solictor sent me a general letter saying i was with a parttner without giving me details. Are they not suppose to give me an indication what they have on me exactly.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Why have you not gone to a solicitor who can grant you legal aid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did go to a solicitor but no one was willing to come with me on legal aid. then i saw this package deal and i thought i go for it . They have told me much details even the person they are suspect me of they only told me when i was on the phone to them asking them who they thought it was. I have been very ill for a while regarding my migraines and pervious to that ii used to have blackouts .They accusing me with someone who was my boss and landlord,my husband and i was working (3 youger children) and living above the premises rent free as accommodation was provided but my marriage was broken and i could not live there, my boss had another place but i had to pay for it .i applied for housing benefit and income support as i could not work with young children . i was asked why i left work i was only part time £60 a week. i dont know where to go from here. Do private solictors not tell you details of your case.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I'm not following your narrative. What have these solicitors done for you so far and what do you mean by not telling you about your case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://www.hylton-potts.com/ please check the link they had stopped my interview and from what i gather they were to advice me on what to do.they just wrote that i was accused of being with a partner from 2003

They just emailed me around 4 pm to close my case because i haven't paid the money. I thought with the first basic package i would at least be given information about the case.now i dont know where to go from here. i feel like i have not been given an explanation on my case how would i even begin to write a statement.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
These are not lawyers. They are only after your money and have no interest in providing you with a service. You must seek advice from a legal aid solicitor. Get in touch with the Law Society of Scotland and they will help you find one.

See www.lawscot.org.uk

Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if they are not lawyers why are they advertising this that they can help and i sent a consent form to act on behalf of me as my lawyers what is that about then?

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
They are from England and they call themselves legal consultants. They wouldn't get away with that in Scotland but they are not solicitors.
JGM, Solicitor
Experience: 28 years as a practising solicitor.