How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

bruises whilst arrested "refusal to quit a pub"

Customer Question

I was arrested for "refusal to quit a pub" I was forced to my knees by 4 officers infront of friends, neighburs and customers. I sustained significant brusing, which i have photos of that I took myself.


I was not read my rights till I was put in a call and was not questioned. I asked for a solicitor but none was gven. they had my ID as they took my drivers liscence out of my bag. They removed all my clothing, including underwear and did not provide a sanitary towel. there was no access to a toilet.


I was there from 9.00pm till around 2.30. Only when I asked for a doctor to photo my bruises and for them to explain to me exactly why I was there, ie who actually made a complaint did they suddenly decide to issue a fixed openalty. they chucked me out of the police station at around 2.00am with no lift home.


I immediately reentered and reported the bruising and assault to other officers. but they claimes they are not allowed to deal with complaints about fellow officers! I believe my incarceration was purely punative. - I am 37 years old with no criinal history.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I am a Scottish lawyer. I have read your narrative. You have put in a formal complaint against the police. That is the correct thing to do. What is your question for me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I press for criminal charges.? Is what they did legal.?


Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The force used in the arrest has to be "necessary and reasonable". If you were drunk and resisting then they can probably justify using a degree of force.

They have to have a reason for removing your clothing and they have to give you something else to wear. You don't give a reason for them doing so, so I assume this was unjustified.

They have to give you toilet access and sanitary towels if you need them.

They only have to get you a solicitor if the police AR going to question you. If they have locked you up for your own safety for example they don't have to do so. However, they seem to have locked you up for a long time.

Continue your complaint and if necessary go the the ombudsman. Until you have the policy's side of things it's too early to advise whether a criminal offence has been committed.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a practicing solicitor, specialising in litigation, employment and family law
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience