How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 9346
Experience:  28 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know who owns the fence . If I own it my understanding

Customer Question

I want to know who owns the fence . If I own it my understanding is that I can erect my panels without any issues.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK , I have employed a landscaper to erect fence panels around my property. The fence that separates my property from my neighbours is 6ft high and the main posts for that fence are on my side of the fence. My understanding is that with the posts being on my side of the fence I therefore own that fence and am responsible for its upkeep. I have decided to erect fence panels on my side of the fence which helps make our garden more private. Can i erect these panels ? ALso if I was to erect a summerhouse in my back garden would I need planning permission as it is 5m x4m and about 3m high?
Look forward to your reply
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If the fence is on your side of the boundary then you can put pales onto it provided that it does not cause a nuisance to your neighbour and provided that there is nothing in the title deeds to prevent you.

If the fence is actually a boundary fence and is deemed to be owned jointly then you would need your neighbours consent.

As regards the summer house you don't need planning permission if the following are complied with:

The structure is not to be built on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation of the dwelling house. In loose terms, principal elevation usually means the wall of the house that contains the front door.

The structure is single storey.

For a dual pitched roof, the height to the eaves cannot exceed 2.5 metres and the overall height cannot go above 4 metres. For a flat roof building the height to the eaves must be no more than 2.5 metres and the overall height must not exceed 3 metres.

If the outbuilding is within two metres of a boundary then the maximum height cannot exceed 2.5 metres. The outbuilding should also be at least 5 metres from your home.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 and 30 square metres there should be at least 1 metre to any boundary to comply with building regulations.

If the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres it can be sited close to a boundary. It is advisable though to allow a minimum gap of ½ metre between the building and the boundary for access and maintenance.

The outbuilding must not itself be a separate, self-contained living accommodation (and must not have a microwave antenna).

No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* should be covered by additions or other buildings. i.e. the outbuilding should take up less than 30% of the garden surrounding the house.

No raised platforms over 300mm. A raised platform is defined as anything more than 300mm above ground level- measured at the highest point and includes decking. Also beware that the 30% rule above will also apply to decking so factor that into your design.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • John Knox

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
< Last | Next >
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a practicing solicitor, specialising in litigation, employment and family law
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience