JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  28 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

Hi, I pleaded guilty and was convicted of racially aggravated

Customer Question

Hi, I pleaded guilty and was convicted of racially aggravated breach of the peace against a police officer almost 6 years ago. I was given just a £500 fine and placed on probation as I had a clean record and was only 20 and intoxicated at the time. I was advised at the time this will come off my records after 5 years. It was around this time there was fraudulent activity in my bank account, police came to my house to ask questions as I came up on a report but I wasn't convicted as they were after the "big fish" and that was the end of the matter. Also around 2-3 years ago I received a ticket for urinating on the streets. I paid the £30 fine within 14 days and had a letter sent to my home warning me of potential community service if I did it again.

I recently applied as a customer service advisor for a large bank. I passed the interview and criminal, credit checks etc but now they are asking for a Basic Disclosure Scotland (BDS) to cover a 4 month gap in unemployment as I didn't claim benefits. When I applied they asked if I had any unspent convictions and I said no. What will show on the BDS? Will this lead to them withdrawing their job offer? I'm ashamed of my past and really worried as I desperately want this job. Please reply.

Thanks
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do convictions automatically become spent after a period of time or is it manually removed from the database? And will my past conviction ever be completely removed if I ever had a more advanced check in the future?

Thanks

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!