JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

i want to buy a piece of land owned by 38 solicitor

Customer Question

i want to buy a piece of land owned by 38 solicitor tells me to do so would involve checking every titlt deed and getting agreement from the mortgage there any simple way i can do this either by buying leasing or renting the land. the land is in scotland
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Do the 38 titleholders own the land jointly or do they all own a bit of land making up the whole?

If the former, your solicitor is right and each proprietor's title would have to be looked at and they would have to get the agreement of their lenders, insofar as any proprietor has granted a security. There would be no straightforward way of doing it. I would comment, however, that it is likely that the same title conditions would apply to each title so once that was checked the only repetition would be to check the ownership of each part.

That is the posting as regards buying.

Renting could be easier if it was just a short lease of even a licence agreement. However, a title examination is usually done in the case of the grant of a long lease. There would be no conveyancing as such, however most lenders would require to grant formal consent to a lease.

Happy to discuss further. I will be back later this evening.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.