JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

Hi. I moved out of a flat a couple of months ago and my old

Customer Question

Hi. I moved out of a flat a couple of months ago and my old flatmates will not give me my deposit back, on the grounds that I did not give them a months notice - just a week. However, I did not have a written contract or sign a lease, or anything to say that I had to give a month's notice, therefore I think it's unfair that they keep my deposit for this reason. They are now pestering me for money for outstanding bills, which is fair enough, except that they should be using my deposit for that, which they have already spend on the rent for the month following my departure. Is that fair?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

What agreement was there with the landlord about notice? Presumably your flatmates have incurred the rent to the landlord? You won't have an agreement with your flatmates. You will all have a single agreement with your landlord?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really needed a reply urgently, so it was too late by the time I received the response.