How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 327
Experience:  UK Solicitor
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 12 year old daughter living with her mother in Scotland.

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old daughter living with her mother in Scotland. I had an arrangement with her mother when I was living in England to pay 100 pounds per month. When she stopped letting me see my daughter I stopped these payments. I returned to NZ to keep my residency. I have a small freehold 1 bedroom unit and live off the state pension which is about 175 pounds per week. This is my only income. I'm 67 years old.
I received a letter from her solicitor asking for maintenance payments to be resumed which I would like to do. Now that I'm living in NZ and with little chance of returning to the UK to see my daughter, what should I do. Since I stopped the payments two years ago I have put aside this money in an account for my daughter.
After my daughter was born and for some time after I contacted the CSA about making payments but they said they could do nothing till they heard from the mother which never happened? Later I sent a parental agreement form for her to sign but this was rejected outright.
There is little possibility for me to see my daughter, but how, and what arrangements can I make about payments and what should I pay? Should I go through mediation. through mediation?
At the moment I have email contact with my daughter and often send her money for clothes and pocket money, but there is no arrangement for this.

Yours sincerely, John.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Were you subject to the the CSA jurisdiction you would have to pay £104 per month.

Mediation is not an option as you are not available. This should be a negotiation between you and the solicitors with a view to entering into a contract.

What do you want to happen?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Solicitor
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a practicing solicitor, specialising in litigation, employment and family law
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
Chat Now With A Lawyer
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
327 Satisfied Customers
UK Solicitor