JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

I have been summonsed to court at the end of the month, for

I have been summonsed to court at the end of the month, for speeding (80mph on a controlled dual carriage way of 50) it was only for a second and as soon as I realised I slowed right down. I have been driving for just under a year and and worried I will lose my licence which I need for my job.
I'm 27, not a boy racer and very responsible. I have pleaded guilty but still concerned, should I seek legal advice ...... Will I get banned?
Thank you for your question.

You should see a solicitor. A speeding charge carries between 3 and 6 penalty points. If you get 6 you lose your licence as you have been driving for less than two years. You would have to resit your test.

It is in your interests to get a good RTA solicitor to represent you and persuade the court that this is a one off incident and that you are not a danger to yourself or others.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I not represent myself in court, well presented and apologetic. I'm not the sort of character to do this and I drive down these roads everyday time. I have a letter from my director at the office as a character reference and stating I will lose my job should I lose my licence.
You can represent yourself but a solicitor will be able to do so better than you can and if you want to save your licence you really want to be seen to be professionally represented.

In the same way that a solicitor wouldn't try to do your job, you would be better not to attempt theirs.

But it is your right should you wish to do so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you now how much a solicitor would cost in this circumstance
You would try to get someone to do it on a fixed fee basis. A solicitor in the same town as the court would charge about £250 plus VAT for a meeting and a court appearance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I think I will represent myself
No problem.