JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.

The land adjacent to our house was purchased by the company

Customer Question

The land adjacent to our house was purchased by the company who built the estate, they are no longer in business, I believe they were liquidated over 15 years ago, we have maintained the land since moving into the property almost 15 years ago, how do we go about claiming this land, we did ask our lawyer but he did not follow this through. Could you please outline the procedure we should now follow to get this included in our title deeds.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If the company was liquidated over 15 years ago it will have been struck off the companies register. That means that any property it owned falls to the Crown.

You can't just claim this land although though can apply to the QLTR office and see if they will sell you the land on behalf of the Crown.

There is a method of claiming land in Scotland where the owner is unknown if you record yourself a title and this remains unchallenged for 10 years and you are in possession, the title then becomes cured and you can then treat yourself as being the owner. That is called an a non domino title and that is sometimes possible where the owner of land is unknown.

That doesn't apply here as the identity of the owner is known.

You should go to for further information.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.