How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Buachaill Your Own Question

Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 8802
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how could my mother have obtained power over my grandfather?

Resolved Question:

I would like to know how my mother would have obtained POA over my grandfather even though he would have not been in a sound state of mind to sign anything due to dementia. I would also like to know how she can sell his house against his will, or make changes and write family members out of his Will. I am very concerned that my mother is seriously abusing the power of attorney by selling his house, changing his will and siphoning off his money into her own accounts (possibly a Turkish account). can i do anything to prevent what i or anyone with a heart would consider to be theft. is there anyway to contest the POA due to misuse and can i ask that the money she would have stolen be returned to my grandfather.

Even though my grandfather has dementia would he be able to revoke or transfer the POA.

Kind Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. As you are probably aware, a valid power of attorney can only be created if the person who creates it, is of sound legal mind and capacity. Accordingly, any exercise of a power of attorney by your mother in connection with your grandfather can be challenged if your grandfather was not of full legal capacity when it was made, whether due to dementia or otherwise. Secondly, a power of attorney gives no power to alter or re-create a will. A will can only be made by the person themselves and then only if they are of sound legal mind. Here your grandfather, if he has dementia cannot make a valid will and any such will is invalid as your grandfather has dementia and is not of full legal capacity to make a will. If your mother has been using an invalid power of attorney in relation to your grandfather, then you can issue legal proceedings to challenge it and have all transactions which have taken place set aside.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 8802
Buachaill and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When you say chalenge it and have all transactions set aside dose that mean she wont have to return the money she has stolen? What will happen to the house?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a practicing solicitor, specialising in litigation, employment and family law
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience