JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  28 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

We contracted a local compant to install an new bathroom suit

We contracted a local compant to install an new bathroom suit December 2011, we contacted them in September 2012 to say there was problems with the installation. they came out and saw the suit then sent a sales rep from the manufacturer to also inspect the suit.
They now say they are not liable to rectify there poor installation.
The cost of the suit was approx £7,800.00, we feel that at this cost the bathroom should have lasted longer that 9 mounths.
Can you please assist.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  jomo1972 replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO1972,

We contracted a local bathroom installer to install a new bathroon suit which was completed in December 2011, we contacted the company by phone in September 2012 and stated that we were having problems with the suit.

They eventually arrived to inspect the bathroon suit, they then sent out a rep for supplied the bathroom suit.

Now they are saying it is not their fault and are refusing to replace what we believe to be fault units and poor installation methods.

Under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 we feel that the bathroom suit should have lasted more than 10 months and that they are liable to rectify any faults in their installation.

Expert:  jomo1972 replied 1 year ago.
I've moved this to Scots law for you as I've realised you are in Scotland.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO 1972

We have had no response to our question as of yet

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

You are now in the Scots law section. Can you tell me what the defects are. If these are workman defects as opposed to appliance defects this may not be a sale of goods issue at all, it may be a breach of contract issue.

Please let me have some more details.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO 1972,

The defects are in the appliances,ie: the mdf units are swelling and bursting due to the steam within the bathroom while we have showers.

There are also small minor defects in the installation.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
You need independent evidence that the installation was not done properly or that incorrect materials were used.

You should get a building surveyor to do an inspection. The report should be shown to the company. If they don't make an offer to settle you will have to get a quote to have the work put right. You can then sue them in the court for that cost.

So you need evidence of an independent nature, intimation of a claim and then follow that up with court action if necessary.
JGM, Solicitor
Experience: 28 years as a practising solicitor.