John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor and Advocate

have split with my partner use to have access every weekend

have split with my partner use to have access every weekend now she has changed it to every second weekend without asking were do i stand
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  John Knox replied 1 year ago.

I will do my best to help you with this.

As things stand, you have an informal arrangement, which obviously relies on things being amicable between you.

If you can no longer agree, and you want more access, you are entitled to apply to the Court for a contact order which provides for, say, access every weekend. If you do that, that could make things hostile between you. I would therefore advise you to make every effort to agree things amicably before taking the step of issuing an application at Court.

Perhaps if you wrote a letter explaining that you wish to go back to the old arrangement and that, if she will not agree, you may need to apply to the Court, that would be a good first step and the hope is you could agree it.

There is no guarantee that the court would grant you access every weekend by the way.

Any further questions, please ask.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we already had an agreement for every weekend but she has decided that the money she is getting from the csa is not enough that is why she changed it to every second weekend is your answer still the same

Expert:  John Knox replied 1 year ago.
Gavin

My answer is the same in the sense that it is still much better to be amicable and to try to change her mind if you can. Better to avoid Court if at all possible. Now I see that she is perhaps reducing contact on the basis of the money, it may be that it will be difficult to persuade her. You could decide to offer her a bit more money (on an informal basis) if she will agree to every weekend.

John Knox, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor and Advocate