Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
18617752

I have the same problem after a tune up 2008 saturn vue code

Customer Question

I have the same problem after a tune up 2008 saturn vue code p0561
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

May I have the engine size in your vehicle?

Can you tell me specifically what was replaced to try and correct the problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
3.5l v6 replaced spark plugs & coil boots and a few days later the code popped up
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Great. The P0561 isn't a valid code for this model/year vehicle. Can you tell me- did you use as "generic" code reader to scan the code? Or double-check the p-code for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
c0561 sorry
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Great. Do you have an ABS light set on the dash?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
comes and goes but stores that code in abs
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. The C0561 is "System Disabled Information Stored". This means that the ABS/Trac system was shut off due a problem somewhere. The electronic brake control module (EBCM) communicates with the engine control module (ECM) and body control module (BCM) during a traction control or stability control event. Which means, when the ABS light turns on and sets a code, this code is set by default because this system has been turned off. So, an engine tune-up will not solve this problem as the problem is not engine related, but a Trac/ABS system problem. From here, the ABS code that is set when the light comes on would need to be addressed first. Once repaired, this code clears itself. The ECM and BCM should also be checked for a possible fault and the wiring to each checked for any loose, broken or damaged wires at this time as well. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i did a tune up and then the abs problem started a few days later
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no correlation
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, this is probably unrelated. The engine control system and the ABS systems are completely separate. So, an engine tune-up did not cause this code or the ABS code.

Let me try to better explain- The C0561 is an "informational" code. It does not point to any problem at all. It simply states the ABS light came on, so the ABS system was turned off. To address the C0561, the ABS codes will need to be scanned and repaired correctly for this code to clear itself out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
anything common part failure on abs for co561 serial data link failure code to come on ?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, like I say, we'd need those ABS codes. Whatever code is turning on the dash ABS light is also setting this C0561. Fix the reason the ABS light comes on, and this code clears itself. Do you happen to have those ABS codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is the only code in the whole car -all systems no other codes
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK. At this point, I'd suggest removing the "NEG" cable from the battery for a minimum of 5 minutes. This "may" clear this code out, but strong chance it will stay in "memory". I would also suggest the use of a higher-end scan-tool that can read memory-stored ABS codes. Might be a good idea to wait until the ABS light comes on again, and then scan the ABS codes out. Like I say, the C0561 is purely "informational" and does not lead us to any part/sensor what so ever or any sort of diagnostic flow chart besides a circuit test between the ECM and BCM (which I'm going to say isn't the real issue here).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i am using a tech 2 gm scan tool no other codes come on even when you drive it with it hooked up & all wheel speed sensors are reading
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. If the wheel speed sensors are reading, this could be the case of a problem with the EBCM. But, I'd definitely want to see a trouble code pointing us there before replacement. At this point, I'd recommend making sure all circuits between EBCM, ECM and BCM are in tact and there are no wiring issues. If all good, then The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in*****cycles.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks were not really getting anywhere
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry. My apologies. Not quite sure if I'm explaining it clearly enough. Sorry I could not be of more help. If you have any questions in the future on this, please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sounds like a tough one i dont like to replace parts by guessing with modules
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Exactly. Same here. So my advice- drive the vehicle 100 drive cycles. If there are no problems, the C0561 clears itself out. All done. If there is a problem, the ABS light will return and an ABS code will be set. The C0561 is going to stay until after 100 drive cycles because at one point... there "was" an ABS problem. It doesn't say why, what or where the problem is... just states there "was" a problem and the ABS system was turned off due to that problem. So, like I say, test the circuits, make sure there are no wiring issues. If good- drive the vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i feel like you have given very generic answers i can clear the codes with the tech 2 and it might drive a day or two before it comes back on!!! are you saying i need to pin out the bus wires from ebcm to pcm & to bcm for this very intermittent problem?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, without a clear ABS code to point us in a direction for testing.... yes. This is the next step is checking for loose/poor connections and/or wiring issues.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome. Let me also provide you with the GM description of C0561 as well (maybe they explain it better than I do). Download there here:https://goo.gl/OPysVT

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.