Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

My hood release cable is broken at the release handle and

Customer Question

My hood release cable is broken at the release handle and when I pull the cable with a pair of pliers the cable and sleeve just pull further out from under the dash and the hood does not release
JA: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?
Customer: don't recall hearing anything, currently my battery is dead this morning and wasn't paying attention for any noise
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 08 Vue XE
JA: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just left it in the hotel parking lot this morning and had someone swing by and bring me to work, I hope to get a ride back mid day to mess with it some more, when warmer and with daylight, is there an alternate way to open the hood without the cable
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just looking for suggestions at this point
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** will need to use another pair of pliers to hold the outer casing and pull the cable with another pair. Do not squeeze the outer casing but just enough to hold it. Once you get hood open you can just close it to get the first latch to catch until you get the cable and handle replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm going back to the hotel at lunch time I'll give this method a try, thank you Jay
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 1 month ago.

If it works then please accept answer and rate me 5 STARS. Thanks.

Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 1 month ago.

Did you get into the hood?

Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 1 month ago.

Did you get into the hood today? If it works then please accept answer and rate me 5 STARS. Thanks.

Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 1 month ago.

Did you get into the hood using the way I suggested? If it worked then please accept answer and rate me 5 STARS. Thanks.

Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 1 month ago.

Have not heard back from you to see if you were able to get hood open? Do you still need my assistance?