Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

My 2005 Saturn ion engine light just came on I recently

Customer Question

Hi my 2005 Saturn ion engine light just came on I recently drained coolant and replaced radiator fan. I just came from advanced auto to see that my car has 6 codes. PO742 PO842 PO974 PO102 PO128 PO700 but before going to get the codes my car was driving normally until the whole car cut off while I was in D (drive) and when I cut it off and back on all other gears seem to work expect everytime I put it into D the car automatically shuts off. Is there a solution?
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Before I drained the coolant it had a overheating problem but hasn't overheated since I drained the fluid.
JA: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have been fixing it by myself I had a mechanic change the radiator fan which was the only problem after he replaced the fan the car overheated extremely bad I was told to drain the fluid in which me and my brother drained everything has been fine until the engine light popped on and the car stopped recently
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am these seem to b the only problems I have for now hopefully before everything went south with the car I was getting regular oil changes
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes what was done and have a question before we start. You stated it shuts off when put into neutral?

boy THAT'S A MOUTH FULL OF CODES. question, DID THIS JUST HAPPEN RIGHT AFTER THE RAD fan AND COOLANT WHERE CHANGED? code p0128 -

Possible causes- Leaking or stuck open thermostat- Low engine coolant level- Insufficient warm up time- Faulty engine coolant temperature sensor- Engine coolant temperature sensor harness is open or shorted- Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit poor electrical connection tHE REST OF THE CODES ARE ALL TRANSMISSION CODES. I would look around the area worked on for any damaged wires and connectors undone to start with.