How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike V. Your Own Question
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Category: Saturn
Satisfied Customers: 25031
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078
Type Your Saturn Question Here...
Mike V. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have my 2004 Saturn Ion at mechanic now. I ordered new

Customer Question

Hi. I have my 2004 Saturn Ion at mechanic now. I ordered new starter, but it's doing the same thing. Would make several loud clicks, then nothing. Battery seems to be fully charged.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Can you tell if the several loud clicks are from the starter?
When they stop, do you still have power to the rest of the car?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes, the clicks are from the starter. And I seem to have full power to the rest of the car. I did see lights and messages flashing on the dash. The relays and fuses all seem to be good.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Ok

This condition usually is a bad connection or positive battery cable that goes from the battery to the starter. It can also be a bad battery causing it. The battery get's what we call surface voltage, it's enough voltage for the starter solenoid to be powered up which is the clicking, but not enough amperage to turn the starter motor. It does sound to me like you may simply have a bad battery here even though the things that use only 12 volts are working for you. But check that positive cable as well, if you see any part of it that is swollen that would mean there is corrosion in the cable itself and that will cause this very same problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!