George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Just changed the timing belt and water pump and now when it

Customer Question

just changed the timing belt and water pump and now when it gets warm the fuel pump shuts off if u turn the key when its cold u can hear the fuel pump turn on and off when it gets warm it stalls and when u cycle the key u dont hear the pump turn on and there is no pressure at ther valve on the rail and when it does run when its cold its runs a ruff an there not much pressure at the rail it bearly sprays out the valve when cold
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: ya belt only had 20000 on it the last person replaced the belt but not the tensionsers so i had to change them they were making noise there 137000 on the car
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: it was running ruff before i changed the tensioners figured it just need plugs the car had sat for a couple months its a 2001 saturn l300 v6
JA: Are you fixing your L300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ya fixing it for my sister just checked rerlay and fuse they good i have started it it will run till it warm right about when the heat gets warm an then it will stall let it cool off for a couple hrs to see if it would do it again and it did when its warm u cant hear the fuel pump come on and there no fuel pressure took plugs out put new ones in then tried it when it was warm still no start took plugs out to look at them they were dry no fuel on them just came in to see if there a way to jump the fuel pump to see if i can make it turn on when its warm and going to the store to grab a can of starting fluid an a fuel pressure tester to check pressure before i take the pump out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all i can think off just trying to figure out what else to check
Category: Saturn
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ya but dont have a scan tool

its not necessarily the pump that has an issue. it also sounds like a crank sensor failing under thermal conditions, but im not calling anything without knowing why the check engine light is on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
im goin to the store see if they got a loaner scan tool or something i can use if it starts when i spray starter fluid in it will that help u with diagnose running to parts store now

sure it will help. you can pick up a cheap code reader for like 40.00

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
k i got a code reader it says it wont talk to car gonna bring t back and see if its there something wrong with the tool but while i was at auto store guy told me to jump terminal 30 and 87 and see if pump came on and it did then tried to start the car an got nothing not even starting at all now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is there anything else i can check to help u help me

ok. we need to find out why the switched power isnt getting to the fuel pump relay.... got a meter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have a meter

ok. pull the relay again. with the key on. see if there is voltage on 85

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there power at 85 but was only getting 5.5 volts

check 86

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
key on 5 volts key off nothing

ok. let me pull a print

check all the highlighted fuses.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i checked all the fuses then ohmed them out just to make sure they were all good the only thing i didnt check in that pic was g100 cant really see what it says in pic i think it says its on left front fenderwell

front of left front fender.

its probably near the battery or on the top or near the radiator core support.

you are also going to need to do a continuity test of the light green wire from the relay to the computer.

just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry got in a car accident on way to switch the scanner for another one lady tee boned me pulling out of a parking lot just got out hospital with broken foot an a little banged up so im moving a little slower im going out now to check the continuity test on green wire now and look for that fuse on radiator support

oh man...sorry! glad you're ok.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have continuity between the the light green wire at the comp to the relay the ground splice seems to have a good connection should i do on continuity check on the ground
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have a new scan tool on the way had to have someone go get the old one from my car at tow yard an exchange it

yes, do the continuity on the ground

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is continuity on the ground got another scan tool says car wont communicate with the car tried it on my other car and the tool it works
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my friend that brought me the tool asked if i should check to see if it the coils are fireing the plugs to see if it is not getting spark or fuel

well we know its not getting fuel. because the pumps not running. you can check for spark if you'd like.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wasent sure if that would help with the diagnosis if something controlled both can u think of anything else to check

i need to figure out why we arent getting the right voltage at the fuel pump relay base

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hows it goin i got a ? my friend was askin if we could jump the relay and power the fuel pump while trying to start the car and see if it starts or if that will mess something up

the relay has to be in place. the car want start without it. if you want to remove the relay bose from the panel and jump it from underneath then have at it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i tied to put a jumper wire in the terminals that make the pump turn on the pump turned on and then put the relay in as soon as the relay went in the fuel pump fuse popped didnt even get to try an turn the key

did you have the jumper in when installing the relay?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ya tried to leave the jumper wire in

ok, you can have the jumper wire in 30 to 87 when doing that. it has to go in 85 to 86.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
gonna try 85 to 86 with wire and put relay in an try

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tried 85 to 86 with wire and cranked it didnt start and pump didnt come on dont wanna get off track but last nite i took the coil pack out and flipped it plugs up put the plugs in an cranked it didnt get no spark out plugs dont know if the two are connected somehow

ok, you can pull the relay out. jumper 30 to 87 and the fuel pump turns on correct?

total random question, does the center high mount brake light work?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
just checked all the break lights includeing highmount work and yes when u jump 30 an 87 the pump turns on

ok. give me a sec

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok let me know anything else u need me to check or test so i can help you help me

check these fuses

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry it took so long to get back they had to re put the pin in my foot i knocked it out of place i checked all the fuses in the fuse under hood fuse box they r all good and checked power at main relay i have battery voltage at two terminals not sure how to test if relay is good has a different number then the rest

let me think about this a while. im very busy at me shop right now, but when i get home ill see what i can come up with

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you i appriciate the help

im out of ideas. i will open this up to others. someone should be with you shortly. good luck

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can u think of any parts it could be thats causeing this to happen someone told me that it sounds like it needs a computer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are u still there