Jake Cheek
Jake Cheek,
Experience:  Automotive Technician at Hendrick Chevrolet
96914122

I imported a US 2004 Saturn VUE AWD into Canada this week.

Customer Question

Is there a way to reprogram the BCM or some other simple solution so that DRLs are on all the time and conform to Canada Transport's regulations?
Blocking the ambient light sensor does the trick but I need a solution that cannot be easily disabled by the driver.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 12 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer.

I believe you can wire in a resistor to the sunload sensor harness. Let me look up a schematic to make sure.

I can't find a specific resistance for the sensor, but you may even be able to wire a jump harness from one pin to the other of the sunload sensor.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Would you happen to know if the ambient light sensor increases or decreases resistance when light hits it?

I am familiar with cadmium sulphide light dependent resistors which lower their resistance when exposed to light.

Web forums say that substituting a common 2.2K ohm resistor for the light sensor will disable the DRL system.

I am certain there will be a resistor value that will force the DRL to remain on, i.e. simulate a low level of ambient light.

If the web forums are right and the VUE ambient light sensor is a light dependent resistor, then simulating darkness would require a high resistance, let's say 5 or 10K ohms.

Do you have any thoughts on whether I should use a low (~200 ohms) or high resistance?

Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 9 days ago.

Well its easy enough to get to and test. If you can get a high resistor to check, that would be your best bet.