nelson freitas
nelson freitas,
Experience:  AutomotiveTechnician at brantford toyota
96947379

My 2008 Saturn Vue has a problem. The blower does not work

Customer Question

Hello! My 2008 Saturn Vue has a problem. The blower does not work again. I've had it looked at and replaced 3 times. Any ideas?
JA: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not mechanically inclined. Just frustrated because the mechanics "fixes" don't stay fixed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Both the heat and air work but the fan does not circulate. They tell me this is the blower. The first time this happened the mechanic stated it was rodent damage. He replaced the blower motor and it worked for 6months or so. When I took it back he again claimed it was a rodent problem, it was warrantied and he again replaced the blower motor. it worked, not really well but better than nothing for an while then boom stopped working.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: No, Valvoline checks and says it okay. No leaks noted.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Nelson. I am a certified automotive technician, and have been for over 12 years.

Firstly if you are having rodents into your vehicle you can help prevent this by having dryer sheets hidden throughout your vehicle. At the dealership that I work for we have a common similar problem with rodents in the engine bay chewing wires and we find that this helps a lot. Also I have recently heard that Irish Spring soap bars work very well also but have not confirmed how well they work.

I just have a few questions for you pertaining to your problem.

What does the technician who inspected the vehicle mean by "rodent damage" has it gotten into chewing wires and have they all been repaired?

It sounds to me that there may be excessive current going to the motor and may be burning it out. Did the technician working on the car mention the condition of the blower motor resistor?(this controls the motor speed)

I hope I have been helpful in trying to solve your blower motor problem, and please let me know if you would like any more information on anything more specific.

Nelson

Also If I have been helpful, please leave feedback accordingly. Thank you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No he did not mention seeing any chewed wires. Said he found nesting materials in it. I had dryer sheets, moth balls and peppermint in the car, and an exterminator come out. Yet he said he thought it was rodents the second time too. I am leaning more towards the excessive current as the cause. How would I find out. The third time I had a new blower installed I asked them to check into this but don't remember what they said. Now it's happened again. What specifically should I have the tech look at? Would the dealership be best or just more expensive? The problem hasn't been solved with the last two mechanics so I'm losing faith and wasting $$$. Any guidence is appreciated. Thanks
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 12 days ago.

The first things that I would look into you be, the amount of current being drawn by the motor and what it is compared to spec. And also the condition of the blower motor resistor.

As far as the dealership being "more expensive" I too used to believe that they charge too much for parts and labour. However being a Technician for over 12 years who has worked in smaller garages for 10 years and currently a Toyota dealership for the last 2. Is that yes, parts and labour at the dealership do tend to cost more than at most other garages. However their technicians are generally better trained, which will lead to less diagnostic time spent on solving problems. And also their parts do last longer, If we look into your problem, your original motor lasted 8 years while this after market one has lasted 6 months. And the problem with excessive current may even be a problem with too much resistance in the replacement motor itself.

Therefore going to a dealership might not be a bad idea if you have had problems with improper diagnostic. Also I know at our dealership we are all willing to bend over backwards for all of our customers, especially new ones. Because in this industry the hardest thing to gain and the easiest thing to loose is a customer.

I hope i have been helpful with your blower motor problem, And I hope where ever you take it is able to find a correct problem with it.

Please let me know any solution that is found, Ild like to hear what is causing this problem.

Nelson

Also if I have been helpful, please leave feedback accordingly. Thank you

Expert:  nelson freitas replied 10 days ago.

Just checking in to see how if the blower motor issue has been resolved?

If so I'l like to hear what fixed the problem