Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
18617752

Seems like I have a fuel pump leak on the tank. Is there any

Customer Question

Seems like I have a fuel pump leak on the tank. Is there any way to access that and replace without having to drop the exhaust and pull the full tank down? I am getting rid of this car very soon. Don't want to pay too much to have this corrected.
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: No, I can see evidence of a leak dripping down the tank. Replaced the fuel filter. Strong fuel smell around the car after refueling
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2004 L300 V6
JA: Are you fixing your L300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have changed the fuel filter first. Did some research online and found that a crack in the pump is common on this model.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats about it.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 14 days ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Unfortunately, there is no access to the top of the tank on this vehicle. To access the top of the tank, it will need to be removed from the vehicle. To do this, the intermediate pipe with the muffler still attached will first need to be removed. If the fuel leak appears to be coming from the top of the tank, more commonly, this will be a problem with the sending unit or lines to the sending unit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here! Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 14 days ago.

If you would like the procedure to remove the fuel tank, please click the Premium Services Offer sent above.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 13 days ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 12 days ago.

..