Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
18617752

2006 Ion 2:Got a P0741 code for faulty torque converter

Customer Question

2006 Ion 2:Got a P0741 code for faulty torque converter clutch circuit 'stuck off.' Where si the solenoid
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No. Car runs fine. Where is the solenoid? Can I replace it without pulling the trans?
JA: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to, but am not prepared to remove the trans.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car has approx. 208K miles, mostly highway driving, and runs great - 33 mpg on the highway. I do almost all repairs at home (have lift), but not prepared to remove the trans.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 29 days ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer. Be right back...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 29 days ago.

Thanks for holding...

Unfortunately, on this vehicle, the TCC Solenoid is located internal of the transmission. To gain access, the side cover will need to be removed. The Labor Time Guide calls for 5.9 hours to access and replace the TCC solenoid. Before condemning the solenoid as faulty, I would strongly recommend that the transmission fluid be flushed and the filter replaced. Many times a bit of debris can get stuck in the solenoid causing it to "stick" and a fluid flush can many times free this up. If the fluid and filter change does not solve the problem, my advice would be a transmission shop. Many have done this job before and may be able to shave some time of that 5.9 hours of labor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here! Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 27 days ago.

Hi! I noticed this Q&A was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 25 days ago.

..