sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I've gone through a week of trying to find why my 2006

Customer Question

I've gone through a week of trying to find why my 2006 Saturn Relay 2 will not crank. I also cannot connect a code reader now. Relays seem to be working. There seems to be power to the ecm. battery is fine. I've gone through tests with other mechanics on this site, but still can't locate the issue. Ready to try another approach.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what has been tested,checked or replaced for this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All fuses test good. Relays test good. I can ground the iginition pin in the ecm connector and the starter cranks. When I turn ignition key to start, the Run Relay clicks. The ecm ground pin seems to be grounded. I've done some ohm testing with one of your other mechanics, etc. He actually had me buy another ecm. That one won't read either from the code reader.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've read the bcm sends signals for the ignition. i have not tested anything involving the bcm
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Was the ecm programmed after you installed it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just before the auto died while driving down the road, there was some strange static in the radio. under the hood, at some point, the positive battery cable had rubbed raw against a pulley on the motor with bare wire showing. not sure if that could have shorted something out, but it's just an observation
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ecm has not been programmed, but i've been told the code reader should connect to it anyway
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i didn't want to go to the expense of programming the new ecm if the old one wasn't bad to begin with
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Did the code reader communicate with the old ecm at all when this issue occurred?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it did right at first, but then quit
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,looking at some of my info on this here I dont have the complete diagrams unfortunately so it would be best if someone else here assisted further with this that may have more info.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If a code reader will not communicate then the PCM isn't awake, either due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it.

Why was the PCM replaced?

Where did the replacement come from?