Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My daughter hit a garage wall at low speed and the airbags

Customer Question

My daughter hit a garage wall at low speed and the airbags deployed, 99 SL2. Now she says the steering doesn't work well, like no power steering.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: she just says it is hard to steer
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 99 Saturn SL2
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't gotten to it, she lives 150 miles away
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know if I can do something to disable the airbag system and if there is some way the airbag deploying could affect the power steering
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- the 2 systems are not related

2- the power steering consist of a pump, high pressure line , return line , a steering rack , steering column inside the car, evo actuator

3- there is a power steering pump reservoir , power steering levels needs checking , the lines needs checking in case the lines got squeezed from the impact , the pump itself could have went bad or the steering rack etc.. testing will be needed

i sent you pictures of the system , showing gear,pump,reservoir, evo solenoid

was the driver side airbag in the steering wheel got deployed or not ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 28 days ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I tried to reply before but the site kept wanting to charge me more.Yes, the driver and passenger side deployed. I can troubleshoot and fix any power steering issue if I can be certain the airbag deployment didn't set a code or do some damage that would hinder it. As for the airbags, I'd like to know if I can disable the system and drive the car without them, at least long enough to get it back to this side of the state (3 1/2 hours or so).

I m sorry i don't handle the billing, if there is issue or they charged more ,let me know i will send in to customer care and they take crae of refund or overages right away .

from what i see on my screen you here is what you valued the question $26

Yes you should be fine driving it 3 1/2 hours , either system want interfere ,air bag or power steering , obliviously the steering will be hard

as far as disabling the system on the air bag side ,you can unplug the srs module if you worried about premature deployment while drivimg ,I sent you the picture diagram showing the module location

Please let me know if you need anything else

Thank You

Chad Farhat