sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2002 Saturn L300 series wagon, my service engine

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Saturn L300 series wagon, my service engine reduced power light and a service engine with a wrench light is on. the car decelerated until I could not drive it at all. after I turned it off for about 10 minutes I was able to drive it home the lights are still on.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No, we did get a scan previously because when we first purchased the car the heater was not working. There seemed to be a clog in one of the hoses. a mechanic was able to clear one hose and said the other hose would require that he pull the dash at a cost of $600.00. Here are the original codes: P0455, P0050
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Saturn Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your L300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have taken the car to a mechanic who seemed to have cleared one hose. The water dripping inside the car under the dash has stopped but we are not using the air conditioner or the heater at this time. The heater gets a little warmer but is not working. The fan is fine and then water did not have anti-freeze in it. We think on occasion we still hear water dripping, but not inside the car.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, thank you. We purchased the car about 4 months ago. These are inherited problems. We have an oil change scheduled for first think tomorrow morning, at which time we will be checking the fuel and air filters etc.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You're seeing the reduced power light because there is an issue with the electronic throttle control system. There are several things that could be going on including the throttle body, wiring, accelerator peal position sensor, an actual or perceived vacuum leak or intake restriction.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what codes are currently setting and then testing can be done from there.