Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.

That was fast. 2003 Saturn Vue speedo needle jumps up.

Customer Question

Hello, that was fast. 2003 Saturn Vue speedo needle jumps up. Sitting stopped jumps up, to as high as 110mph. Creats other problems:cruise keeps disengaging. When driving, the engine goes off and on, does not stall, but it makes me feel like I'm riding a bucking bull.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Approx. 186000. Manual trans, FWD, 2.4 liter.
JA: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing myself (can't afford to have it done). Suffered ha, ha. Just trying to get uTube advice. I didn't do anything yet. Oh, by the way it doesn't do it all the time, could go weeks or months without it happening. That's another reason I haven't got pro help, when i take it in it works fine and the mechanic won't see any thing wrong.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's too late in the day, can I save this and talk tomorrow? Don't you like two fingered hunt and peck clients? Will this be a phone call?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 16 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With what you have described since it affects the cruise and the driving of the vehicle this is either a fault with the ECM (engine control module) or the vehicle speed sensor itself.What has to be done here to help determine the cause is to have the fault codes read out.If you can get the codes read out this will help.In some cases a local parts store will read out these codes at no charge to you.If you can get the codes read out and post them here let me know.

Since it does occur at a stop as well I am leaning more towards an issue with the ecm as usually the vehicle speed sensor will only act up when the vehicle is moving.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete