sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2009 Saturn has several problems in last two weeks. When hit

Customer Question

2009 Saturn has several problems in last two weeks. When hit brakes sometimes feel like car is moving off fooundation. Sometimes feels
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: like transmission jumps. Yesterday there were two occasions when driving at low speed that I heard a very loud pop (sounded like metal). Car dealership is unable to repeat noise so can not help me. Car has 196000 miles- have had brakes and axles replaced about 40'000 miles ago:
JA: What is the model of your '09 Saturn?
Customer: VUE
JA: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No - dealership unable to diagnose until sound repeated when they are driving it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Don't blame the dealer if they cannot find the issue if it's not acting up and they cannot see or feel anything out of the ordinary. These things happen and require both patience and cooperation between both parties, But perhaps I may give you some things that may give a different view.So with all said and done if I may ask a few questions to get a better picture of what is going on. Do you remember roughly where that sound originated from? front, rear one side or the other under the car? Also when that shuddering from when the brakes were applied ,was it wet or dry pavement? Did any dash lights come on as well when this happened?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The sound originated under the middle of the car. The pavement was dry. The sound was frightening loud and sounded like metal. The brakes sounds and feels when dry.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No dash lights came on

DID THIS HAPPEN MORE THEN ONCE OR DOES IT STILL DO IT/ Have you checked under the car for any visual damage or fluid leakage?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It happened twice in the same day about 1 hour apart. The car was parked for about 45 minutes between each occurrence. There are no leaks and there is nothing visibly broken (dealer inspected bottom of car).

did the dealer happen to put a scanner on the car to see if there were any codes stored in the ECU'S engine and ABS? such as history or pending codes?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I don"t think so. I asked on-star to run a diagnosis and there were no codes

this will be very difficult from our end not seeing or hearing that noise and if there are no codes or visual signs of damage or leaks so I respectfully ***** ***** so another expert may shed some light on your problem and help you. good luck. Please disregard ratting my answer

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?