George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

2009 Saturn aura 6 cyc put the key in and turned it nothing

Customer Question

2009 Saturn aura 6 cyc put the key in and turned it nothing happens the lights and everything work but engine won't crank or start
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 21 days ago.

Hi. Do you have a security light on the dash that blinks fast or stays on while the key is in the ON position?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No the brake light and track control light is on

Ok. Since the all the electronics seem to work, you could have a failed starter. Do you have a test light to check for power at the starter?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Well I manually hit the starter relay on the fuse box and the motor will crank but not start so the starter is fine

Ok. DO you have power on 2 terminals of the relay with the key on?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What do u mean? I mean everything in the fuse box including the relays seem to be working

The relay has 2 power circuits to it. Then when the key is turned the computer grounds one of them and the relay sends power to the starter.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Idk to be honest but I tried a different relay in its place and still nothing happens we plugged a dionostic machine into the car and it says can not connect to ecu will the computer just go out like that BC I had just drove the car and it sit for 5 min then when I got back in and turned the key nothing happen

A computer can fail like that but it sounds more like a fuse blown. A blown fuse can cause lack of communication to the module. ANd would be more sudden to fail like what happened. You should check all the fuses under the hood and inside the car with a test light for best results.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I pulled a lot of the fuses and looked at em not all of em but the ones we thought could cause the issue and they all looked OK

Ok. Do the brake lights work?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Did really look at those we know the headlights work

Ok. You are going to have to do something at this point. Check the brake lights, check ALL the fuses in the car and under the hood, check for power to the starter relay.