mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

2007 Vue 3.5. I recently replaced the timing belt at 97,000.

Customer Question

2007 Vue 3.5. I recently replaced the timing belt at 97,000. I followed the instructions after the replacement. I started the engine a held it at 3000rpm and let it idle to relearn a new position. I drove it to work for two weeks after. It had progressively got worse to start. Taking several crank attempts and giving throttle to hold above idle. After letting it warm up it ran ok. I had a issue While traveling down the road it quit under hard acceleration up a hill.
I changed the spark plugs and it helped start faster but I still had codes of cam sensor. Crank sensor. And all cyl misfire. When I changed the plugs I noticed that most of the coils appeared to be burnt. I changed all new coils. Now it won't start at all. I smell fuel so I assume it's a ignition problem. Should i be led to replace the crank or cam sensor. I hate to just throw parts at it. Thank you
Category: Saturn
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.

sounds like your timing jumped did you replace the hydraulic tensioner?

either that or your valve clearance has tightened up and needs to be adjusted. but since you smell fuel and you have cam and crank codes i bet the timing jumped.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I replaced the hyd. Tensioner when I replaced the belt. I triple checked the timing before I started the engine

it is still possible to skip causing those codes. i have seen it a lot. if the tensioner pulley is tightened down too much or the washer is mission behind it it does not allow the tensioner to operate properly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well if I were to recheck the timing marks as I have found conflicting info. Where should each cam marks be in relation to the crank mark?

give me a moment i will get you a diagram for that engine. this is a honda v-6 in that vehicle so they are a bit strange on the markings.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was surprised to find it's a Honda also. The info that came with the belt was from gates. I didn't trust it fully.

here is the best info available. they switched to the honda drivetrain in 04 from the saab v6 newer ones have gm engine but the best year vues are the ones with the honda engine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Excellent thank you. I am jealous. You have all data. Now after the recheck of the timing belt any other fancy procedures I must do to complete the process

just a couple rotations and rechecking the marks. i only have alldata because i still currently work as a full time mechanic.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got it. Thanks. I work for Caterpillar as a mechanic. I hate working on my own vehicles. Thank you for your help.

i hate working on big stuff like cats. i managed a tow company so kudos to you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Haha likewise in your profession. I will recheck the timing tomorrow and let you know the results. Thanks

not a problem. and if you have a moment to leave a rating it would be appreciated